- Must be between the ages of 16 - 21 at the time of the application: March 15, 2013.
- Must be nominated by a university or private teacher, conductor, director, or professional performer, music dealer, or community musical leader. (Nominators may not be related in any way to the nominee.)
- Must have attained a high level of musical achievement in solo appearances, honors, and ensemble performances.
- Must have the personal qualities compatible with the high musical standards necessary for acceptance into the program.
- Must be a full-time student studying in the U.S. Yamaha is unable to offer international travel.
- Indicate whether you wish to be considered as a jazz or classical applicant, by selecting the appropriate box on the application.
- Complete all information on the application form. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- A nominating person must complete all nominator information (see application). There are no other expectations placed on the nominating person.
- In order to be considered for this contest you must be available for travel and performance from Saturday, June 22 through Tuesday, June 25, 2013.
- Submit a CD with a minimum of (2) different recordings of solo performances (with accompaniment - if applicable). The pieces (or excerpts) may display different styles, but should above all show the applicant’s strongest musical attributes. Titles, movements, and the composer(s) of performed pieces must be included in the "file name". Original pieces are welcome. The total length and number of pieces submitted are up to the applicant’s discretion. Recordings must be of high audio quality.
- A completed separate application is necessary, if any applicant wishes to apply for both classical and jazz or on multiple instruments.
- At this time, we are unable to accept applications for guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, ukulele, or banjo.
- Recordings should feature the applicant as a soloist, rather than an ensemble player.
- Please edit recordings to include solo materials you would like the judge to consider.
All application materials must be postmarked by midnight on March 15, 2013.