- ELIGIBILITY. The Competition is open to all legal residents of the 50 United States (including District of Columbia), who are full-time students studying in the U.S. and are 18-22 years of age at the time of entry (“Applicant”). All Applicants must be nominated by a university or private teacher, conductor, director, professional performer, music dealer or community musical leader (nominators may not be a relative of the Applicant). Employees of Sponsor, Music for All, and their parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, dealers and members of their immediate families (spouse, parents, children and siblings and their respective spouses) or households (whether related or not) are ineligible to enter and win. Void outside the 50 United States, and where prohibited. By participating in this Competition, you agree to these Official Rules and all decisions of the Competition judges, which are final and binding, and you further certify that you meet all eligibility requirements, including but not limited to the fact that you (and anyone with whom you may collaborate musically to create your entry) are not:
- Subject to a contract that would make your public appearance in connection with the Competition a violation of any third-party rights.
- Under any other contractual relationship, including but not limited to guild and/or union memberships, that may prevent Sponsor from being able to use your Competition submission worldwide in all media in perpetuity on a royalty-free basis, without any payment or fee obligations.
- APPLICATION PERIOD. The entry period begins February 3, 2014 at 12:00:01 a.m. Eastern Time (ET), and ends on March 31, 2014 at 11:59:59p.m. ET ('Application Period').
- HOW TO ENTER. During the Application Period, Applicants must submit:
- Application & Audio Recording(s) - A completed 2014 Application indicating whether he/she wishes to be considered as a jazz or classical applicant, including their nominator’s information, all of which must be submitted to be an eligible entry; and an audio CD or MP3s with a minimum of 2 different recordings of solo performances (with accompaniment, if applicable) using one of the following instruments: Piccolo, Flute, Oboe, Bassoon, Clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba, Mallet or Concert Percussion, Drums, Violin, Viola, Cello, Upright Bass, and Piano (collectively the “Submission”).
- Mailed or Emailed Submissions – Submissions must be sent to Yamaha Corporation of America, c/o Yamaha Artist Services Indianapolis/ Attn: Jalissa Gascho – YYPA / 39 West Jackson Place, Suite 150/ Indianapolis IN 46225; or email Submissions (MP3 file format only) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS. To All Applicants… Applicant must have attained a high level of musical achievement in solo appearances and ensemble performances, and possess personal qualities compatible with the high musical standards necessary for acceptance into the Program. To All Jazz Applicants…. Recordings should feature Applicant as a soloist, rather than an ensemble player. Edit recordings to include solo materials you would like the judge to consider.
All performances (or excerpts) may display different styles, but should show Applicant’s strongest musical attributes. A separate document containing Applicant’s name, instrument, and titles and composers of each submitted recording must be attached to the completed application (mailed and emailed). If mailing the completed Application, the submitted audio CD must also be physically labeled with Applicant’s name and instrument. Blank CDs will not be considered. Original pieces are welcome. The total length and number of pieces submitted are up to Applicant’s discretion. Recordings must be of high audio quality.
Without limitation, the following additional requirements apply:
All Submissions will be pre-screened upon receipt for compliance with the foregoing requirements. Submissions violating any requirements will be disqualified. Incomplete, untimely, unreadable, lost, misaddressed or misdirected entries will be disqualified, as well as entries not pursuant to these Official Rules. Sponsor and those acting on its behalf may or may not publish, display or perform any submitted materials online or otherwise for public access. However, the selection of any Applicant(s) or performance as winners remains solely with the judges, as described below. Yamaha reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Submission that it believes violates or potentially violates any of the foregoing requirements or otherwise fails to comply with any provision of these Official Rules. Sponsor may allow for minor discrepancies in duration of Submissions if an Applicant has otherwise tried in good faith to comply with these Official Rules, as determined by Sponsor.
- Submissions must be Applicant’s own performance created solely by Applicant.
- Submission must not contain any personal information of any person other than Applicant and his/her Nominator.
- Submissions are ineligible if they could be deemed to: (i) contain vulgar, obscene, indecent, sexually explicit, insulting, hateful, threatening, harassing, or other inappropriate language, behavior or content; (ii) defame or libel any person or entity; (iii) violate the intellectual property rights of any person or entity; or (iv) otherwise be inappropriate in the sole discretion of Sponsor and its designees.
- Submissions should not include any video recordings of Applicant’s performance or personal photos, in any form.
- LICENSE AND USAGE PERMISSION. In consideration of the opportunity to participate in the Competition, you, on behalf of yourself and Nominator, hereby: (a) represent and warrant that you have the authority to grant the permission and rights granted herein, and that no other permission is required to grant such rights; (b) irrevocably grant to Sponsor and its assignees and designees (including but not limited to its advertising, promotion and public relations agencies) the right, but not the obligation, to distribute, reproduce, broadcast, publicly display, modify, edit, translate, create derivative works and otherwise use the contents of your entry and Submission (song, lyrics, audio recording and any other materials), your name, voice, likeness, personality, and biographical information and address (city and country), and any statements made by or attributed to you, in whole or in part, either alone or in combination with other materials and content, in connection with the Competition (or future versions thereof) or other marketing or publicity purposes, in any and all media, now known or hereafter devised, without notice, review, or approval, in perpetuity and throughout the universe without further compensation, without restriction of any kind, including any acts that might otherwise be deemed a violation of moral rights; (c) release Sponsor, Music For All, Facebook, and their parent, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, successors, assignees, employees, directors, officers, agents, advertising and promotion agencies, and all others associated with the development and execution of this Competition, and anyone acting on behalf of any of the foregoing (collectively the “Released Parties”) from any and all claims or liability arising out of any such use; (d) agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses, including reasonable legal fees and expenses, arising out of or related to any breach by you of any provision of these Official Rules, including, without limitation, your representations and warranties, and (e) covenant not to bring any legal action against the Released Parties with respect to any non-waivable moral rights (or other similar rights) relating to your entry.
- WINNER SELECTION. Winners will be selected via the process described below. Decisions of judges are final and cannot be appealed.
Judging Process: During the Application Period, all Submissions will be judged by a panel of Yamaha Artists who will attempt to find a winner in each of the following instrument categories: Piccolo, Flute, Oboe, Bassoon, Clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, French Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba, Mallet or Concert Percussion, Drums, Violin, Viola, Cello, Upright Bass, and Piano. Judging will be based on the following three criteria, giving equal weight to each: (i) Musicality; (ii) Expression; (iii) Tone Quality. Not all categories may have winners, as not all Submissions may fully meet the criteria for a Yamaha Young Performing Artist, and Submissions of poor quality will not be judged.
- WINNER NOTIFICATION AND VERIFICATION. On or about April 30, 2014, up to eight potential winners from the combined categories of jazz and classical will be contacted by phone and/or email using the contact information submitted on the Application. Each potential Winner must respond within 2 days or such potential Winner’s entry may be disqualified, the prize forfeited, and an alternate Winner may be selected.
Winner may be solely responsible for all federal, state and local taxes, and winner may be issued an IRS Form 1099 for the value of the prize. Winner may be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability and Publicity Release indemnifying the Released Parties from any and all liability related to the awarded prize. Each potential winner may also be required to sign one or more additional agreements to confirm all terms of these Official Rules, as well as an IRS Form W-9, plus an assignment of all rights (including but not limited to copyright) in and to the winning Submission. Failure to sign and return any documents when requested, or the providing of any false or incomplete information, may result in disqualification.
- PRIZES AND THEIR VALUE One Grand Prize is available to each of the eight potential winners from the combined categories of jazz and classical. The Grand Prize includes a trip to Yamaha’s Young Performing Artist Celebration at the Music For All™ Summer Symposium held in Muncie, Indiana at Ball State University on June 21-24, 2014. Winners will perform in front of thousands at the Music for All™ Summer Symposium, attend workshops and clinics designed to launch a professional career, and get media exposure throughout the world.
Trip consists of the following: Round-trip coach air or ground transportation for Winner between metropolitan airport/rail station/bus station nearest Winner’s home, (or agreed upon airport/rail station/bus station if the Winner is not near their home) to the airport/rail station/bus station in Indianapolis; including ground transportation from Indianapolis to hotel in the vicinity of Muncie, Indiana; standard hotel accommodations for one-room, single occupancy, 3-night stay at a hotel in the vicinity of Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana; and three meals a day provided by Sponsor.
All expenses not specifically mentioned herein are not included in the prize and are solely the Winner’s responsibility, including but not limited to round-trip transportation between the Winners’ residence and the metropolitan airport/rail station/bus station nearest Winners’ home, baggage fees, missed travel and rebooking fees, international travel, fees associated with transporting large musical instruments, hotel room service, parking fees, laundry service, food, beverages, merchandise, souvenirs, local and long distance telephone calls, tips, gratuities and service charges. Airline carrier’s regulations and conditions apply. Winner must possess all necessary documents for travel, including but not limited to a valid passport or other valid identification. Major credit card will be required at hotel check-in to cover any incidental charges. Travel and lodging are subject to availability. Trip must be made June 21-24, 2014. Winner must participate in the prize trip on the given dates or forfeit the prize in its entirety.
The total approximate retail value of all the prizes is $600. Value of travel prize may vary depending upon departure city and date(s) of travel; any difference between actual and advertised value of travel prize will not be awarded. No prize substitutions, cash equivalent or transfer of prizes permitted except at the sole discretion of Sponsor. Sponsor is not responsible for lost or misdelivered prizes due to Applicant’s inaccurate or improper address information. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged prizes, once received and in the possession of prizewinner. Prizes may not be exchanged for cash or otherwise, except that Sponsor retains the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater retail value in the event any advertised prize becomes unavailable. No responsibility is assumed for cancellation, interruption or postponement of prize. Sponsor is not responsible and will not pay for the travel or any expenses for parents and/or guests of Winners.
Each Prize will be awarded only to the one individual identified in the Application with the winning Submission.
INTERNET. If, for any reason, Sponsor is unable to conduct this Competition as planned due to technical failures, such as those caused by a computer virus, hacking, other unauthorized interference, fraud, or any other cause which obstructs or otherwise adversely affects the proper administration, reliability, fairness, or integrity of the Competition, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any person found to have interfered or tampered with the Competition, and if deemed necessary by Sponsor in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any failure in transmission, however caused, including any omission, interruption, deletion, defect, communications line failure, theft or destruction of information or unauthorized access to entries, their damage or alteration. Sponsor is not responsible for its failure to receive any email, essay or entry form due to software failure, technical problems, human error or transmission congestion on the Internet or at any Website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to an Applicant’s, or any other person’s, computer relating to or resulting from participation in this Competition or downloading of any materials in this Competition. CAUTION: SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES OR OTHER PENALTIES, OR REMEDIES, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, FROM ANY PERSON(S) ATTEMPTING TO DELIBERATELY INTERFERE WITH THE CONDUCT OF THIS COMPETITION OR TO DAMAGE THE WEBSITE.
If a dispute arises over the identity of an Applicant, the “Authorized Account Holder” of the email address submitted at time of entry will be deemed to be the Applicant. The “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person assigned to an email by an internet access provider, online provider or other organization (e.g. business, education institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. Any entry sent through the use of an automated sending device will not be accepted and will not be considered a valid entry.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS; RELEASE. By participating in this Competition, all Applicants and winners release, discharge, and hold harmless the Released Parties, including but not limited to Sponsor, Music for All ™, Facebook, Inc., and their respective parents, subsidiaries, divisions, branches, affiliates, assigns and agencies, including, without limitation, their respective officers, directors, shareholders and employees from and against any and all liability or claims for any and all liability or legal claims, injury, loss, illness, litigation or damages arising out of their participation in the Competition and/or the acceptance, use, misuse, non-use or possession of the prize. Any portion of the prize not accepted by Winner will be forfeited, and the Released Parties are not responsible for any inability of the Winner to accept or use the prize (or portion thereof) for any reason. Released Parties are not responsible for printing or typographic errors related to the Competition or related material or for stolen, lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, postage due, and/or illegible entries or transmissions. If, in Sponsor’s opinion, there is any suspected or actual evidence of a virus, bug, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud technical failures or other causes corrupt the administration, securities, fairness integrity or proper play of the Competition, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual and/or void any entries submitted fraudulently, to modify or suspend the Competition, or to terminate the Competition and award the prize using all non-suspect eligible entries received as of the date of such action. In the event that any dispute arises regarding the meaning or interpretation of these Official Rules, participants agree that the dispute shall be resolved by applying the laws of California and that it shall be resolved by and within the courts of that state.
- SPONSOR. The sponsor of the Competition is Yamaha Corporation of America, 6600 Orangethorpe Avenue, Buena Park, CA 90620.
- SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS. By participating, you release Facebook, from and against any and all injury, loss or damage caused or claimed to be caused by your participation in the Competition and/or the acceptance, awarding, receipt, use and/or misuse of the prize. Any information you submit online is to the Sponsor, and not to Facebook. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
- WINNER’S LIST. Winners will be available and identified at http://4wrd.it/YYPA_WEBSITE_2014 and www.facebook.com/YamahaYoungPerformingArtists within 30 days of determination.