DGX-220 features 76 piano-style touch sensitive keys. Professional pitch bend wheel for more expressive playing of brass and string instruments. It also comes with innovative features like USB computer connectivity, a large selection of realistic voices including the Yamaha Portable Grand, and the Yamaha Education Suite.
Amazing Features Include:
76 Full-Size Piano-Style Keys
489 Instrument Voices including: 116 Standard, 361 XGlite, 5 "Sweet!", and 3 "Cool!" Voices
Yamaha Educations Suite (Y.E.S.™) – Features lessons, grading, and songs to learn
Performance Assistant – Allows you to...
Amazing Features Include:
- 76 Full-Size Piano-Style Keys
- 489 Instrument Voices including: 116 Standard, 361 XGlite, 5 "Sweet!", and 3 "Cool!" Voices
- Yamaha Educations Suite (Y.E.S.™) – Features lessons, grading, and songs to learn
- Performance Assistant – Allows you to play along with any built-in song regardless of your level of ability
- Music Database – Sets up over 250 songs
- On-Board Sequencer – Records 5 Songs / 6 Tracks
- 2-Way Speaker System with a Bass Boost System
- Flash ROM – Download songs from the internet
- PC Connectivity – USB MIDI
- Matching Piano Bench Optional
So Easy To Use!
There are many tools in the keyboard that make it easy to be a power user from the first day you own the keyboard.
- Music finder: Complete keyboard setups by song title. The keyboard selects an appropriate voice for the right hand melody, the correct musical style and the correct tempo. Simply call up a song title and start playing.
- One Touch Setting (OTS): Provides you with a recommended voice with effects for each style. For example, on a jazz style OTS might be piano, for a Latin style it might be acoustic guitar and for a rock style it might be a guitar with overdrive etc.
- Registration Memory: Set the keyboard up just the way you like and take a digital snapshot by memorizing it to one of the Registration buttons. Load and save up to 16 Registrations to User memory. The Registration buttons are conveniently located just above the keyboard.
- Performance Assistant Technology: Performance assistant technology is a feature from Yamaha that guarantees that you can't play a wrong melody note or chord. Here's how it works. Select a song, press the Performance Assistant button Chord Mode and play the keyboard – any notes you like. Every note you play will fit the music! If you move up the keyboard, the pitch goes up. If you move down, the pitch goes down. Play a perfect arpeggio, or play chords in time with the music, or really "go for it" and play a solo. As long as performance assistant is "on", you're "on". Imagine being able to give a concert to your friends or relatives the very first day that you bring this remarkable keyboard home. Well, with the DGX-220 and performance assistant technology, you can! This keyboard is the first in the line to offer Chord/Free Mode in addition to Chord Mode described above. Chord/Free Mode allows those that have learned a melody with their right hand to have the keyboard correct the notes of their left hand. This allows you to concentrate on one hand at a time while learning. Play the correct notes with the right and any notes with the left and you're making beautiful music. In addition to working with any of the internal songs with chords, this feature also works with XF MIDI files.
Yamaha Education Suite: Helps you learn to play
The DGX-220 has 30 built-in songs, plus 70 more on an included CD-ROM, for you to learn to play using the Yamaha Education Suite. The songs are separated into left and right hand parts, providing 7 levels of lessons plus a convenient chord dictionary.
- Three keyboard lessons for each hand
- Waiting Mode – stops the playback of a song until you find the correct note and then continues.
- Your Tempo Mode – Learn to play the correct notes with the correct timing. Song playback tempo will vary to match the speed you are playing at. The song will slow down when you play wrong notes, so you can learn at your own pace.
- Minus One Mode – Here's where you can perfect your technique. The song will play at the normal tempo, minus the part you have chosen to play. Play along while listening to the song.
- Lesson Grading – Monitors your progress as you practice each lesson and gives you a grade.
- Repeat and Learn – The song location will move back four measures from the point at which you pressed the button, and playback will begin after a one measure count-in. This section will repeat allowing you to practice until perfect!
- Chord Dictionary – Shows you how to play chords and tells you which chords you are playing by displaying the notes and chord names on the LCD screen.
Easy Song Arranger
You can change the "feel", or arrangement, of songs by simply pressing the Easy Song Arranger button, allowing you to re-mix any MIDI file. For example, you can try your favorite song with a Rock feel, Hip Hop, then Jazz. It's fast, powerful and one-button simple.
Auto Accompaniment Styles
In addition to the 100 songs mentioned above, the DGX-220 also has auto accompaniment styles that "follow" your playing. Simply select a style of music from the 150 built-in Styles (example Rock), play a chord and the DGX-220 will create a backup band (bass, drums, strings, guitar etc.) and "follow" you through the song. You can play your songs and try different genres of music.
Full Keyboard Mode
The DGX-220 delivers on its piano theme with a special mode of fingering called Full Keyboard Mode. This allows the player to play the keyboard like a piano; for example a chord with the right hand and bass notes with the left. When using the accompaniment feature, the virtual band will follow these chords. Traditional portable keyboards normally require you to chord on the left side of the keyboard, in the bass section, which is foreign to most piano players. The DGX-220 is also capable of this mode, for those who prefer it.
Yamaha has long been a world leader in digital signal processing technology. In fact, Yamaha professional audio products are found in most professional recording studios around the world. The DGX-220 takes full advantage of this know-how, giving you an extensive range of nine, top-quality reverb effects that simulate playing in everything from a small room to a large spacious concert hall and four chorus effects that add richness to electric pianos and guitars in particular. You'll also find 26 types of Harmony effects for your melody parts.
2-Way Speaker system with a Bass Boost System
Separate woofers and tweeters deliver sounds with clarity and precision for more lifelike instrument voices. Also, a special port on each speaker adds a powerful impact to bass sound reproduction.
The DGX-220 comes with 30 built-in songs plus 70 more on an included CD-ROM and an interactive lesson system, divided into left and right hand parts, for learning them. In addition, you have the ability to connect to a computer via USB, download more songs from the Internet into the internal Flash ROM (PC only), and use all of the Yamaha Education Suite features to help you learn to play them. Yamaha makes it easy to get connected with the new PC button. Now, instead of wading through function menus and fighting through a maze of selections, one button is your expressway to music on the web and your computer. In addition, once connected, you can play your songs into the computer (PC and Mac), edit them if necessary, and e-mail them to your friends and family. And with General MIDI (GM) and XGlite compatibility, song data always plays back with the correct sounds.
All Yamaha portable keyboards and digital pianos feature a Quickstart DVD with introductory lessons to help you start playing real music today!
|CD-ROM with Song Book, USB Drivers and Digital Music Notebook|
Audio & Video
|Weight||Weight||8.3kg (18lbs., 5oz.)|
|Keyboard||Number of Keys||76|
|Other Controllers||Pitch Bend||Yes|
|Size||92mm x 42mm|
|Tone Generation||Tone Generating Technology||AWM Stereo Sampling|
|Polyphony||Number of Polyphony (Max.)||32|
|Preset||Number of Voices||116 + 361 XGlite + 12 Drum/SFX Kits|
|Featured Voices||5 Sweet! Voices, 3 Cool! Voices|
|Master EQ||5 types|
|Panel Sustain||yes (in Menu)|
|Preset||Number of Preset Styles||150|
|Fingering||Multi / Full Keyboard|
|Style Control||INTRO, MAIN x 2, FILL-IN, ENDING|
|Custom||User Styles||Style File Format|
|Other Features||Easy Song Arranger||Yes|
|One Touch Setting (OTS)||Yes|
|Preset||Number of Preset Songs||30|
|Recording||Number of Songs||5|
|Number of Tracks||6 (5 Melody + 1 Chord)|
|Data Capacity||Approx. 10,000 notes (when only "melody" tracks are recorded)Approx. 5,500 chords (when only "chord" tracks are recorded)|
|Compatible Data Format||Playback||SMF|
|Recording||No (Original File Format)|
|Registration||Number of Buttons||2 ( x 8 banks )|
|Lesson/Guide||Performance Assistant Technology (PAT)||Chord, Chord/Free|
|Yamaha Education Suite (Y.E.S.)||Waiting, Your tempo, Minus one, Repeat & Learn, Chord Dictionary|
|Tempo Range||11 - 280|
|Transpose||-12 to 0, 0 to +12|
|Miscellaneous||PIANO Button||Portable Grand Button|
Storage and Connectivity
|Connectivity||DC IN||DC IN 12V|
|AUX Pedal||1 Footswitch (optional)|
|USB TO HOST||Yes|
Amplifiers and Speakers
|Amplifiers||6W + 6W|
|Speakers||12cm x 2 + 3cm x 2|
|Power Supply||Adaptor (PA-5D), or batteries (Six "D" size, R20P(LR20) or equivalent batteries)|
|Included Accessories||Music Rest||Yes|
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Easy to Use
- Realistic Sound
- Responsive / Good Action
- Touch Sensitive Keys
- School Bands
Comments about Yamaha dgx-220:
I have used it since 2005 to date,And use it mostly for concerts