YPG-535 Main Features
Step-up features on DGX-630
(next Model up)
Piano Centric Features
Lyric, chord and notatio...
|YPG-535 Main Features||Step-up features on DGX-630
(next Model up)
Piano Centric Features
The Yamaha Portable Grand, YPG-535 has an easy to use panel, a wealth of piano-centric features including 88 piano-style keys, Graded Soft Touch (GST) action with different levels of resistance, high resolution stereo piano sample and comes with an attractive matching stand, PA-150 energy saving* power adapter and sustain pedal.
* Adapter goes into low power mode when instrument is turned off.
USB connectivity brings music directly to your keyboard
The YPG-535 has 2 USB ports on the back, USB TO HOST and USB TO DEVICE.
- USB TO HOST is plug and play simple for recording and playing back MIDI files, as well as transferring data to and from your computer.
- USB TO DEVICE is for connecting optional peripheral USB storage devices like floppy disk drives and thumb drives*. When a USB flash memory is inserted in this instrument's USB TO DEVICE terminal, user songs created on the instrument and the registered settings can be saved to or loaded from the memory medium. USB flash memory can also be used to transfer song data downloaded from the Internet to the instrument, where it can be used with the performance assistant technology and the Yamaha Education Suite features mentioned below. Furthermore, user songs saved to USB flash memory in MIDI file format can also be used with these features.
* The instrument does not necessarily support all commercially available USB storage devices. Yamaha cannot guarantee operation of USB storage devices that you purchase. Before purchasing USB storage devices, please consult your Yamaha dealer, or an authorized Yamaha distributor (see list at end of the Owner's Manual) for advice.
Lyric, chord and notation display
Have you ever played a song and wondered what it would look like as sheet music? The YPG-535 can display the score to a song whether it comes from the Internet, the internal selections or ones that you record yourself, and the pages scroll automatically when a song is played back – no more page turning! And for singers, the screen also displays chords and lyrics to XF compatible songs. For examples, please visit www.yamahamusicsoft.com. And for those that want to learn to play, notation adds a new dimension to the Yamaha Education Suite, allowing you to hear a song while you follow the notes in the display.
Ease of operation
There are many tools in the keyboard that make it easy to be a power user from the first day you own the keyboard.
- Expandable Music Database: Complete keyboard setups by song title. The keyboard selects an appropriate voice for the right hand melody, the correct musical style and the correct tempo. Simply call up a song title and start playing.
- One Touch Setting (OTS): Provides you with a recommended voice with effects for each Style. For example, on a jazz style OTS might be piano, for a Latin style it might be acoustic guitar and for a rock style it might be a guitar with overdrive etc.
- Registration Memory: Set the keyboard up just the way you like and take a digital snapshot by memorizing it to one of the Registration buttons. Load and save up to 16 Registrations to User memory. The Registration buttons are conveniently located just above the keyboard.
- Performance Assistant Technology: Performance assistant technology is a feature from Yamaha that guarantees that you can't play a wrong melody note or chord. Here's how it works. Select a song, press the Performance Assistant button Chord Mode and play the keyboard – any notes you like. Every note you play will fit the music! If you move up the keyboard, the pitch goes up. If you move down, the pitch goes down. Play a perfect arpeggio, or play chords in time with the music, or really "go for it" and play a solo. As long as performance assistant is "on ", you're " on". Imagine being able to give a concert to your friends or relatives the very first day that you bring this remarkable keyboard home. Well, with the YPG-535 and performance assistant technology, you can! This keyboard is the first in the line to offer Chord/Free Mode in addition to Chord Mode described above. Chord/Free Mode allows those that have learned a melody with their right hand to have the keyboard correct the notes of their left hand. This allows you to concentrate on one hand at a time while learning. Play the correct notes with the right and any notes with the left and you're making beautiful music. In addition to working with any of the internal songs with chords, this feature also works with XF MIDI files. For examples, please visit www.yamahamusicsoft.com
- Chord: No matter where or what you play, the result will be musical, well-balanced sound. This type offers the greatest freedom, allowing you to play anything with both your left and right hands.
- Chord/Free: If you can play simple right-hand melodies but have trouble with left hand chords, this is the type for you. The Chord type applies to only the left-hand section of the keyboard, allowing you to easily play chords to support the melody you are playing with your right hand.
- Melody: This type lets you play the melody of the selected song by playing any keys with just one finger. Start playing melodies right away, even if you've never played a keyboard instrument before!
- Chord/Melody: Play the melody of the selected song with one finger on the right-hand section of the keyboard, and play chords on the left-hand section of the keyboard using the Chord type.
Yamaha Education Suite: Helps you learn to play
The YPG-535 has 30 built-in songs plus 70 more on included CD-ROM for you to learn to play using the Yamaha Education Suite. The songs are separated into left and right hand parts, providing 7 levels of lessons plus a convenient chord dictionary.
- Three keyboard lessons for each hand
- Waiting Mode – stops the playback of a song until you find the correct note and then continues
- Your Tempo Mode – Learn to play the correct notes with the correct timing. Song playback tempo will vary to match the speed you are playing at. The song will slow down when you play wrong notes, so you can learn at your own pace.
- Minus One Mode – Here's where you can perfect your technique. The song will play at the normal tempo, minus the part you have chosen to play. Play along while listening to the song.
- Lesson Grading – monitors your progress as you practice each lesson and gives you a grade.
- Repeat and Learn – the song location will move back four measures from the point at which you pressed the button, and playback will begin after a one-measure count-in. This section will repeat allowing you to practice until perfect!
- Chord Dictionary – shows you how to play chords and tells you which chords you are playing by displaying the notes and chord names on the LCD screen.
6-track sequencer: record your own music
Imagine capturing your student's first performance or writing and recording your own songs. With the YPG-535, you have the equivalent of a built-in multi-track recorder to record one or multiple instrument parts at a time and assign each part to a different track. Six tracks are provided to accommodate sophisticated melodies, chord accompaniment and rhythm parts.
- 2 Way Speaker System
Separate woofers and tweeters deliver sounds with clarity and precision for more lifelike instrument voices.
- Bass Boost System
A special port on each speaker adds a powerful impact to bass sound reproduction.
- Stereo (Not just 2 Speakers)
We all know that stereo sound adds realistic character and spatial depth. But how can you tell if the portable keyboard you're looking to purchase is stereo or not? With Yamaha, the answer is simple. All Yamaha Portable Keyboards are true stereo.
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP)
Enhances sound quality with sophisticated digital effects like Harmony, Reverb & Chorus.
- Advanced Wave Memory (AWM)
Yamaha Advanced Wave Memory technology delivers amazingly realistic sound.
Full Keyboard Mode
The YPG-535 delivers on its piano theme with a special mode of fingering called Full Keyboard Mode. This allows the player to play the keyboard like a piano; for example a chord with the right hand and bass notes with the left. When using the accompaniment feature, the virtual band will follow these chords. Traditional portable keyboards normally require you to chord on the left side of the keyboard, in the bass section, which is foreign to most piano players. The YPG-535 is also capable of this mode, for those who prefer it.
Easy Song Arranger: You're the conductor
You can change the "feel", or arrangement, of songs by simply pressing the Easy Song Arranger button, allowing you to re-mix any MIDI file. For example, you can try your favorite song with a Rock feel, Hip Hop, then Jazz. It's fast, powerful and one-button simple.
Master EQ: Tailor your sound
Five different master equalizer (EQ) settings are provided to give you the best possible sound when listening through different reproduction systems - the instrument's internal speakers, headphones, or an external speaker system. You're in control.
Realistic Sounding Voices
The YPG-535 comes equipped with 127 panel voices, 12 drum/SFX kits plus 361 XGlite voices. Special voices include Sweet! Clarinet, Trumpet, Muted Trumpet, Flute, Pan Flute, Soprano & Tenor Saxes, Trombone, Cool! Voices including Galaxy Electric Piano, Suitcase Electric Piano, Electric Piano, Organ and Rotor Organ and Live! Voices including Grand Piano, Warm Grand Piano and Orchestra.
- Sweet! Voices reproduce all the natural expression and vibrato of their respective acoustic instruments
- Cool! Voices feature long samples of electronically amplified instruments
- Dual Mode allows you to combine two voices across the keyboard at the same time — for example piano and strings.
- Split Mode allows you to select a different voice for each hand — for example piano for your right and bass for your left. The combinations are limited only by your imagination.
32 Note Polyphony and 16 Part Multi Timbrel
In electronic keyboards, the more sounds made at the same time – polyphony – the more memory is needed. Obviously, more is always better, because too little polyphony can cause dropouts in dense passages of music. The YPG-535 has 32 notes of polyphony and will play back 16 different parts or sounds at once (16-part multi timbrel); enough for the most demanding needs.
Yamaha has long been a world leader in digital signal processing technology. In fact, Yamaha professional audio products are found in most professional recording studios around the world. The YPG-535 takes full advantage of this know-how, giving you an extensive range of nine, top-quality reverb effects that simulate playing in everything from a small room to a large spacious concert hall and four chorus effects that add richness to electric pianos and guitars in particular. You'll also find 26 types of Harmony effects for your melody part.
Just what the teacher ordered! A fully adjustable metronome is just a button push away.
Auto Accompaniment Styles
In addition to the 100 songs mentioned above, the YPG-535 also has auto accompaniment styles that “follow” your playing. Simply select a style of music from the 160 built-in styles (example Rock) and start playing. The YPG-535 will create a backup band (bass, drums, strings, guitar etc.) and “follow” you through the song. You can play your songs and try different genres of music. And if you can't find the right style for your song, you can go to www.yamahamusicsoft.com , preview from the selection, purchase and transfer it to your keyboard (PC only).
Portable Grand: Industry's best piano
You're never more than a button push away from the most realistic piano sound in portable keyboards today. One press of the Portable Grand button resets the entire keyboard to a stereo-sampled piano — perfect for when it's time to practice. Yamaha is known around the world for the quality of our acoustic pianos and this attention to detail is evident as you enjoy the warmth and clarity of the YPG-535 Portable Grand piano. And of course, the keyboard includes a Sustain Pedal jack on the back for practicing and playing piano pieces.
The YPG-535 features USB MIDI, Sustain Pedal jack and a Headphone jack for private practice.
Don't forget your Survival Kit!
Audio & Video
|Dimensions||Width||1,354mm (53-1/3") with keyboard stand|
|Height||775mm (30-1/2") with keyboard stand|
|Depth||485mm (19-1/8") with keyboard stand|
|Weight||Weight||17.0kg (37lbs., 8oz.) with keyboard stand|
|Keyboard||Number of Keys||88|
|Type||Graded Soft Touch Keyboard|
|Other Controllers||Pitch Bend||Yes|
|Display||Type||Full Dot LCD|
|Size||320 x 240 dots|
|Score Display Function||Yes|
|Lyrics Display Function||Yes|
|Tone Generation||Tone Generating Technology||AWM Stereo Sampling|
|Polyphony||Number of Polyphony (Max.)||32|
|Preset||Number of Voices||127 + 361 XGlite + 12 Drum/SFX Kits|
|Featured Voices||3 Live! Voices, 8 Sweet! Voices, 5 Cool! Voices|
|Master EQ||5 types|
|Panel Sustain||yes (in Menu)|
|Preset||Number of Preset Styles||160|
|Fingering||Multi / Full Keyboard|
|Style Control||INTRO, MAIN x 2, FILL-IN, ENDING|
|Custom||User Styles||Style File Format|
|Other Features||Easy Song Arranger||Yes|
|Music Database||300 + External Files|
|One Touch Setting (OTS)||Yes|
|Preset||Number of Preset Songs||30|
|Recording||Number of Songs||5|
|Number of Tracks||6 (5 Melody + 1 Chord)|
|Data Capacity||Approx. 10,000 notes (when only "melody" tracks are recorded)Approx. 5,500 chords (when only "chord" tracks are recorded)|
|Compatible Data Format||Playback||SMF|
|Recording||Original File Format (Convertible into SMF)|
|Registration||Number of Buttons||2 ( x 8 banks )|
|Lesson/Guide||Performance Assistant Technology (PAT)||Chord, Melody, Chord/Free, Chord/Melody|
|Yamaha Education Suite (Y.E.S.)||Waiting, Your tempo, Minus one, Repeat & Learn, Chord Dictionary|
|Tempo Range||11 - 280|
|Transpose||-12 to 0, 0 to +12|
|Miscellaneous||PIANO Button||Portable Grand Button|
Storage and Connectivity
|External Drives||Optional USB Flash Memory (via USB To Device)|
|Connectivity||DC IN||DC IN 12V|
|Sustain Pedal||x 1|
|USB TO DEVICE||Yes|
|USB TO HOST||Yes|
Amplifiers and Speakers
|Amplifiers||6W + 6W|
|Speakers||12cm x 2 + 3cm x 2|
|Power Supply||Adaptor (PA-150 or PA-5D)|
|Included Accessories||Music Rest, Power Supply (PA-150), Sustain Pedal (FC5), Owner's Manual and CD-ROM|
- USB-MIDI Driver V1.0.4 for Mac (10.1.5 - 10.4.0)
- USB-MIDI Driver Version 1.2.2 for Win (Me / Win98)
- Music Soft Downloader V5.7.1 for Win (XP 32-bit / Vista 32-bit / Win7 32-bit, 64-bit / Win8 32-bit, 64-bit)
- Music Soft Downloader V5.7.0 for Win 2000
- DGX-530 YPG-535 Owner's Manual [English / 4MB]
- Compatible USB Device List for 08DGX-M [English / 53KB]
- More Downloads
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Easy to Use
- Pre-programmed music
- Realistic Sound
- Responsive / Good Action
- Styles Are Great
- Touch Sensitive Keys
- Electronic Music
Comments about Yamaha ypg-535:
The 6-track recorder makes it easy to arrange songs with layered/multiple sounds and accompaniment. The Styles library even has 160 preset beats. I wish there were more styles, but the ones that are there have served me well.