You want to play when and as you like, without being confined to time or place… Yamaha’s next generation SILENT Brass™ makes it happen. The new SILENT Brass™ consists of a smaller, lighter, free blowing Pickup Mute™, and the Personal Studio™, which features Yamaha’s exclusive Brass Resonance Modeling™. Used together, the two deliver the natural acoustic tone you hear when playing without a mute, making it feel as though you are playing mute free.
The Pickup Mute™ combines a high-performance mute with an internal microphone to pickup sound. Significantly smaller and lighter than previous versions, the mute offers superior muting performance, delivers excellent intonation over a wide pitch range, a...
The Pickup Mute™ combines a high-performance mute with an internal microphone to pickup sound. Significantly smaller and lighter than previous versions, the mute offers superior muting performance, delivers excellent intonation over a wide pitch range, and natural playability. A new compact design now lets you put your instrument in its case with the mute in the bell. * Please note that the Pickup Mute™ may not fit some instruments with significantly different bell shapes or bell diameters. Please check before purchasing.
Brass Resonance Modeling™
The SILENT Brass™ features Yamaha’s proprietary technology, which uses the modeling of non-muted brass instruments to correct your instrument’s tone when the Pickup Mute™ is in place. The resulting sound is so realistic, it’s hard to tell whether the instrument is muted, or not.
The SILENT Brass™ Offers More Enjoyment
Connect the output from an audio player, smartphone, etc. to the AUX IN jack on the Personal Studio™ and enjoy playing along with your favorite recordings or “minus one” practice aids. The PHONES jack can also be used as an output jack for recording what you play. * Do not use the AUX IN jack when using the PHONES jack as an output jack.
Audio & Video
SILENT Brass First Impressions
In some cases, the Pickup Mute™ may not fit instruments that have significantly different bell diameters and/or shapes. Please check before purchasing. No applicable models of Piccolo Trumpets, Alto Horns, Baritones, Alto Horns, Bass Trombones, or Marching Brass (with the exception of some Marching Brass and Marching Euphoniums). Instrument : Pickup Mute™ fits into the bell, Fine Intonation, Personal Studio™ acts correctly
Original Case : The instrument fits into the original case with Pickup Mute™
SILENT Brass™ SB7X / Pickup Mute™ PM7X
(for Trumpet and Cornet)
|B♭ Trumpet||YTR-1335(S), YTR-2335(S), YTR-2330(S), YTR-3335(S), YTR-4335G(S), YTR-6335, YTR-6330B, YTR-8335(S)/G(S)/RS/RGS, YTR-8335GH, YTR-9335CHS, YTR-9335NYS, YTR-6310Z(S), YTR-8310Z(S), YTR-8335LA(S), YTR-8340EM, YTR-6345G(S), YTR-850(S)/G(S), YTR-8345(S)/G(S)||✔||✔|
|C Trumpet||YTR-8445(S)/G(S), YTR-9445CHS, YTR-9445NYS||✔||✔|
|E♭/D Trumpet||YTR-6610S, YTR-9610|
|Rotary B♭ Trumpet||YTR-938FFM||✔||✔|
|Rotary C Trumpet||YTR-948FFM||✔||✔|
|B♭ Cornet||YCR-2310, YCR-2330, YCR-4330G(S), YCR-6330(S), YCR-8335(S)/G(S)||✔||✔|
|E♭ Cornet||YCR-2610S, YCR-8620S|
SILENT Brass™ SB6X / Pickup Mute™ PM6X
|Flugelhorn||YFH-8310Z(S), YFH-8315G(S), YFH-631GS, YFH-2310, YFH-436G||✔|
SILENT Brass™ SB5X / Pickup Mute™ PM5X
(for Tenor Trombone)
|Tenor Trombone||Bell Size 7 1/2"||YSL-897Z||✔||✔|
|Bell Size 8"||YSL-455G, YSL-354, YSL-350C||✔||✔|
|Bell Size 8 1/2"||YSL-445G, YSL-447G, YSL-630||✔||✔|
|Bell Size 8 2/3"||YSL-881/G||✔||✔|
|Tenor Trombone with F-Attachment||Bell Size 8"||YSL-456G||✔||✔|
|Bell Size 8 1/2"||YSL-446G, YSL-448G, YSL-620, YSL-640, YSL-820GII, YSL-882V/G||✔||✔|
|Bell Size 8 2/3"||YSL-882/G, YSL882-O/GO, YSL-882OR/GOR||✔||✔|
|Valve Trombone||Bell Size 8"||YSL-354V||✔|
Please Note: SB5X and PM5X are not compatible with Alto Trombones or Bass Trombones.
SILENT Brass™ SB3X / Pickup Mute™ PM3X
(for French Horn)
|French Horn||Bell Size MS||YHR-869D/GD, YHR-881/D, YHR-882/D, YHR-891/D, YHR-892/D||✔|
|Bell Size M||YHR-314II, YHR-320, YHR-322II, YHR-567/D/GDB, YHR-667/D, YHR-671/D, YHR-87/D, YHR-871/D||✔||*|
|Bell Size ML||YHR-667V/VS||✔||✔|
|Bell Size L||YHR-822GD, YHR-832GD, YHR-841GD, YHR-851GD||✔|
|Bell Size LL||YHR-668/DII/N/ND, YHR-868GD||✔||*|
* For detachable horns, can be stored in the storage compartment in the case.
SILENT Brass™ SB2X / Pickup Mute™ PM2X
|YEP-201(S), YEP-321(S), YEP-621(S)||✔|
* Only concert configuration
Please Note: SB2X and PM2X are not compatible with Alto (Tenor) Horns, or Baritones.
SILENT Brass™ SB1X / Pickup Mute™ PM1X
|B♭ Tuba||YBB-105(S), YBB-201(S), YBB-321(S), YBB-621(S), YBB-632(S), YBB-641, YBB-645G, YBB-841/841G||✔|
|C Tuba||YCB-621(S), YCB-822(S), YCB-861||✔|
|F Tuba||YEB-201(S), YEB-321(S), YEB-632(S)||✔|
|E♭ Tuba||YEB-201(S), YEB-321(S), YEB-632(S)||✔|
|Marching Tuba||YBB-105M(S), YBB-201M(S)||*|
* Only concert configuration
|Dimensions (Diameter x Length)||129 × 216mm (5-1/16" x 8-1/2")|
|Weight||195g (6.9 oz.)|
|Internal Microphone||Electric condenser microphone|
|Pickup Output Jack||Mini phone jack|
|Brass Resonance Modeling™||Yes|
|Dimensions (W x D x H)||70 x 20 x 98mm|
|Weight||69g (2.4 oz) without batteries|
|Jacks and Terminals||MUTE IN, AUX IN, PHONES|
|Control||VOL. (volume), Reverb type, Power ON/OFF|
|Brass Resonance Modeling™||Yes (It behaves correctly only when compatible X-series Pickup Mute™ is connected to Personal Studio™.)|
|Power Supply||AA alkaline or nickel-metal hydride batteries x 2 (3V DC)|
|Included Accessories||Cable, Stereo Earphones, Owner’s Manual|
- In some cases, the Pickup Mute™ may not fit instruments that have significantly different bell diameters and/or shapes. Please check before purchasing.
- The Pickup Mute™ is not compatible with Marching Mellophones, Marching French Horns, Alto (Tenor) Horns, or Baritones.
- The SILENT Brass™ mute for Trombone (SB5X) and the Pickup Mute™ (PM5X) are not compatible with Alto Trombones or Bass Trombones.
- The SILENT Brass™ mutes for Flugelhorn (SB6X) and the Pickup Mute (PM6X) protrudes 3-4 cm from the bell.
- The Pickup Mute™ cannot be stored in the cases of French Horns with detachable bells.
- For information on compatibility with Yamaha brass instruments and cases please refer to the "Compatibility Table".
- Always remove the Pickup Mute™ from the instrument if the instrument is to be stored for an extended period of time.
- The PHONES jack on the Personal Studio™ STX is for stereo output (do not use it for mono output).
- Do not connect an earphone with microphone headset or similar device that has a 4-contact plug to the Personal Studio™. The use of such a device can result in severely degraded balance and sound.
- Do not connect the PHONE jack to a microphone input jack (or combined mic/line input) on a computer, etc., that also supplies power to the connected device (plug-in power).
- If you want to use the jack as an external output, do not connect anything to the AUX IN jack.
- Please note that Brass Resonance Modeling™ is only available when the STX Personal Studio™ is combined with a PM3X/5X/6X/7X Pickup Mute™. It is not available with any other Personal Studio™ or Pickup Mute™ models.
- AA batteries are not supplied. Please purchase separately.
- SILENT Brass™, Personal Studio™, Pickup Mute™, Brass Resonance Modeling™, and SILENT Brass™ logo are all trademarks owned by the Yamaha Corporation.
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Good Tone
- Light Weight
- Minimal Back Pressure
- Realistic sound
- Belt Clip Feels Weak
- No Right Hand Techniques
- Can Practice Frequently
- Great For Dorms
- Practice Quietly
Comments about Yamaha sb3x:
When my Silent Brass SB3X came, my wife was trying to nap, but told me to try it anyway. She did not hear me at all! I practice in the basement, and even with a regular practice mute my family could hear me, so I could not practice while others were sleeping or when the children had visitors. Now I practice in the morning when my wife and daughter are sleeping. It has made my wife very happy. I also find I am not afraid to work on my upper range - that can sound pretty bad at times!
When I first started using this, I kept taking the ear buds out to see if it was too loud - it just sounded too good to just be coming through the ear buds. The sound is balanced to seem to come from the right side, as it does when playing regularly. The increase in back pressure is minimal, so it does not feel like you are over-blowing the horn.
I use reverb 1, which sounds like a room and seems very normal. Reverb 2 is a hall sound - pretty realistic, but it does not appeal to me. I like the natural sound. I don't use the belt clip. The wires are long enough that I set the personal studio unit on the floor next to my chair.
As an amateur that only recently came back to the horn after many years, I need all the practice I can get, and the Silent Brass Mute has at least doubled my practice time.
- Was this a gift?: