You want to play when and as you like, without being confined to time or place… Yamaha’s next generation SILENT Brass™ makes it happen. The new SILENT Brass™ consists of a smaller, lighter, free blowing Pickup Mute™, and the Personal Studio™, which features Yamaha’s exclusive Brass Resonance Modeling™. Used together, the two deliver the natural acoustic tone you hear when playing without a mute, making it feel as though you are playing mute free.
The Pickup Mute™ combines a high-performance mute with an internal microphone to pickup sound. Significantly smaller and lighter than previous versions, the mute offers superior muting performance, delivers excellent intonation over a wide pitch range, a...
The Pickup Mute™ combines a high-performance mute with an internal microphone to pickup sound. Significantly smaller and lighter than previous versions, the mute offers superior muting performance, delivers excellent intonation over a wide pitch range, and natural playability. A new compact design now lets you put your instrument in its case with the mute in the bell. * Please note that the Pickup Mute™ may not fit some instruments with significantly different bell shapes or bell diameters. Please check before purchasing.
Brass Resonance Modeling™
The SILENT Brass™ features Yamaha’s proprietary technology, which uses the modeling of non-muted brass instruments to correct your instrument’s tone when the Pickup Mute™ is in place. The resulting sound is so realistic, it’s hard to tell whether the instrument is muted, or not.
The SILENT Brass™ Offers More Enjoyment
Connect the output from an audio player, smartphone, etc. to the AUX IN jack on the Personal Studio™ and enjoy playing along with your favorite recordings or “minus one” practice aids. The PHONES jack can also be used as an output jack for recording what you play. * Do not use the AUX IN jack when using the PHONES jack as an output jack.
Audio & Video
SILENT Brass First Impressions
In some cases, the Pickup Mute™ may not fit instruments that have significantly different bell diameters and/or shapes. Please check before purchasing. The Pickup Mute™ is not compatible with Piccolo Trumpets, Alto (Tenor) Horns, Baritones, Alto Trombones, Bass Trombones and Marching Brass Instruments.
SILENT Brass™ SB7X / Pickup Mute™ PM7X
(for Trumpet and Cornet)
|B♭ Trumpet||YTR-1335(S), YTR-2335(S), YTR-2330(S), YTR-3335(S), YTR-4335G(S), YTR-6335, YTR-6330B, YTR-8335(S)/G(S)/RS/RGS, YTR-8335GH, YTR-9335CHS, YTR-9335NYS, YTR-6310Z(S), YTR-8310Z(S), YTR-8335LA(S), YTR-8340EM, YTR-6345G(S), YTR-850(S)/G(S), YTR-8345(S)/G(S)||✔||✔|
|C Trumpet||YTR-8445(S)/G(S), YTR-9445CHS, YTR-9445NYS||✔||✔|
|E♭/D Trumpet||YTR-6610S, YTR-9610|
|Rotary B♭ Trumpet||YTR-938FFM||✔||✔|
|Rotary C Trumpet||YTR-948FFM||✔||✔|
|B♭ Cornet||YCR-2310, YCR-2330, YCR-4330G(S), YCR-6330(S), YCR-8335(S)/G(S)||✔||✔|
|E♭ Cornet||YCR-2610S, YCR-8620S|
SILENT Brass™ SB6X / Pickup Mute™ PM6X
|Flugelhorn||YFH-8310Z(S), YFH-8315G(S), YFH-631GS, YFH-2310, YFH-436G||✔|
SILENT Brass™ SB5X / Pickup Mute™ PM5X
(for Tenor Trombone)
|Tenor Trombone||Bell Size 7 1/2"||YSL-897Z||✔||✔|
|Bell Size 8"||YSL-455G, YSL-354, YSL-350C||✔||✔|
|Bell Size 8 1/2"||YSL-445G, YSL-447G, YSL-630||✔||✔|
|Bell Size 8 2/3"||YSL-881/G||✔||✔|
|Large Bore Tenor Trombone||Bell Size 8"||YSL-456G||✔||✔|
|Bell Size 8 1/2"||YSL-446G, YSL-448G, YSL-620, YSL-640, YSL-820GII, YSL-882V/G||✔||✔|
|Bell Size 8 2/3"||YSL-882/G, YSL882-O/GO, YSL-882OR/GOR||✔||✔|
|Valve Trombone||Bell Size 8"||YSL-354V||✔|
SILENT Brass™ SB3X / Pickup Mute™ PM3X
(for French Horn)
|French Horn||Bell Size MS||YHR-891/D, YHR-892/D, YHR-881/D, YHR-882/D||✔|
|Bell Size M||YHR-567/D/GDB, YHR-314II, YHR-322II, YHR-320, YHR-667/D, YHR-87/D||✔||*|
|Bell Size ML||YHR-667V/VS||✔||✔|
|Bell Size L||YHR-822GD, YHR-832GD, YHR-841GD, YHR-851GD||✔|
|Bell Size LL||YHR-668/DII/N/ND, YHR-868GD||✔||*|
* Except detachable bell
SILENT Brass™ SB2X / Pickup Mute™ PM2X
|YEP-201(S), YEP-321(S), YEP-621(S)||✔|
* Only concert configuration
Please Note: SB2X and PM2X are not compatible with Alto (Tenor) Horns, or Baritones.
SILENT Brass™ SB1X / Pickup Mute™ PM1X
|B♭ Tuba||YBB-105(S), YBB-201(S), YBB-321(S), YBB-621(S), YBB-632(S), YBB-641, YBB-645G, YBB-841/841G||✔|
|C Tuba||YCB-621(S), YCB-822(S), YCB-861||✔|
|F Tuba||YEB-201(S), YEB-321(S), YEB-632(S)||✔|
|E♭ Tuba||YEB-201(S), YEB-321(S), YEB-632(S)||✔|
|Marching Tuba||YBB-105M(S), YBB-201M(S)||*|
* Only concert configuration
|Dimensions (Diameter x Length)||129 x 220mm (5-1/16" x 8-11/16")|
|Weight||155g (5.5 oz.)|
|Internal Microphone||Electric condenser microphone|
|Pickup Output Jack||Mini phone jack|
|Brass Resonance Modeling™||Yes|
|Dimensions (W x D x H)||70 x 20 x 98mm|
|Weight||69g (2.4 oz) without batteries|
|Jacks and Terminals||MUTE IN, AUX IN, PHONES|
|Control||VOL. (volume), Reverb type, Power ON/OFF|
|Brass Resonance Modeling™||Yes (It behaves correctly only when compatible X-series Pickup Mute™ is connected to Personal Studio™.)|
|Power Supply||AA alkaline or nickel-metal hydride batteries x 2 (3V DC)|
|Included Accessories||Cable, Stereo Earphones, Owner’s Manual|
- In some cases, the Pickup Mute™ may not fit instruments that have significantly different bell diameters and/or shapes. Please check before purchasing.
- The Pickup Mute™ is not compatible with Marching Mellophones, Marching French Horns, Alto (Tenor) Horns, or Baritones.
- The SILENT Brass™ mute for Trombone (SB5X) and the Pickup Mute™ (PM5X) are not compatible with Alto Trombones or Bass Trombones.
- The SILENT Brass™ mutes for Flugelhorn (SB6X) and the Pickup Mute (PM6X) protrudes 3-4 cm from the bell.
- The Pickup Mute™ cannot be stored in the cases of French Horns with detachable bells.
- For information on compatibility with Yamaha brass instruments and cases please refer to the "Compatibility Table".
- Always remove the Pickup Mute™ from the instrument if the instrument is to be stored for an extended period of time.
- The PHONES jack on the Personal Studio™ STX is for stereo output (do not use it for mono output).
- Do not connect an earphone with microphone headset or similar device that has a 4-contact plug to the Personal Studio™. The use of such a device can result in severely degraded balance and sound.
- Do not connect the PHONE jack to a microphone input jack (or combined mic/line input) on a computer, etc., that also supplies power to the connected device (plug-in power).
- If you want to use the jack as an external output, do not connect anything to the AUX IN jack.
- Please note that Brass Resonance Modeling™ is only available when the STX Personal Studio™ is combined with a PM3X/5X/6X/7X Pickup Mute™. It is not available with any other Personal Studio™ or Pickup Mute™ models.
- AA batteries are not supplied. Please purchase separately.
- SILENT Brass™, Personal Studio™, Pickup Mute™, Brass Resonance Modeling™, and SILENT Brass™ logo are all trademarks owned by the Yamaha Corporation.