Incredible Sounds, Effects, and Styles Make Yamaha Genos the Ultimate Songwriting and Performance Keyboard
Breathtaking New SoundsGenos features nearly twice the amount of AWM2 sample ROM as the Tyros5 that chronologically preceded it, including gorgeous new Yamaha CFX and C7 concert grand Voices. Brand new Revo! drum and special FX Voices use more dynamic sampling and round-robin triggering to create startlingly human rhythm parts.
Audio Quality and Massive Effects PowerDigital-to-analog conversion is the last thing that happens to any digital instrument's sound before going on to the listening system, and it's a make-or-break link in the signal chain. That's why Yamaha used new 32-bit DACs on the main outputs for exceptionally smooth sound. Also included is a S/PDIF digital output for computer recording, providing better-than-CD-quality resolution at 24 bits.
Control and Interface FeaturesGenos offers more real-time control than any songwriting or performance workstation ever made. The Live Control section provides nine assignable sliders and six assignable knobs. Above these is a crisp OLED strip showing the setting each knob or fader controls at any instant, so the player doesn't need to delve into the main display in order to make changes on the fly. From the balance of parts in an accompaniment Style to individual parameters in a synth sound to drawbars in an Organ Flutes Voice, this unprecedented level of control is sure to make Genos as appealing to today's synth enthusiasts as it is to veteran users of auto-accompaniment keyboards.
Miles of Styles and Robust RecordingYamaha accompaniment Styles have always led the industry in realism, conducting a real-time backing band that follows players' chord changes and musical choices. Genos' cornucopia of new sound content makes its 550 Styles better than ever, across all musical genres from pop to jazz to classical to rock to hip-hop to EDM to regional and world flavors — and beyond.
What Songwriters are SayingDespite the Genos' deep feature set and technical prowess, songwriters of a decidedly music-first, technology-second bent are finding it intuitive and immediate to use. Among these are Nashville A-listers Beth Nielsen Chapman and Ashley Gorley.
"I get inspired, usually, from a sound. That's why I'm so crazy about this keyboard, because the sounds are so fabulous. … It's like having a co-writer that's me, so we get along really good! I find it very intuitive for a person like me, and I think a lot of songwriters are like this. Our minds are just going bzzz, and this is probably one of the most simple setups I've ever worked with … There are these lovely sounds that I can layer and make each song really unique unto itself. I can't wait to really use this as a main tool to create production ideas." – Beth Nielsen Chapman
"Nashville is a guitar town, but I'd always written — and still when there's a writers' round or a Bluebird-type event — I would always use keyboard. The first thing I noticed was ... really good piano sounds. There's always been a struggle with keyboards' drums and guitars. The guitars usually don't come across well, but on this one, I can hold onto things and make it sound a little bit more like I'm messing around on the guitar. It's great. … Especially if you're not a computer-proficient person where you can download millions of libraries and go through all that — that's a whole day to do that, and if it's three minutes, then I'd forget whatever I was going to play! So to have the right amount of sounds ... one page where I can see it here and affect it here, then I'm good. This sounds like it could actually be part of a track." – Ashley Gorley
Additional Features and Specifications
- FSX semi-weighted premium keyboard action with aftertouch, enhanced touch response for very expressive playing, and high-precision, durable construction.
- Dual Song Player lets the user crossfade smoothly between two audio Songs (or one audio and one MIDI Song).
- Play back Songs continuously using Song List function.
- Arpeggios add 216 motifs and riffs to performances using MegaVoices, going far beyond the abilities of traditional arpeggiators.
- Vocal Harmony and Synth Vocoder: Apply realistic multi-part harmonies to a vocal coming through the mic input, or use the Synth Vocoder for classic "robot voice" effects.
- Premium Packs to expand Genos' capability by adding new Voices, Styles, and more, including even higher-quality content than the factory presets. Yamaha Expansion manager for Mac and PC.
- Personal Packs to manage Voice, Style, Song, and Registration content efficiently.
- Huge 1.8 GB of internal, non-volatile Flash memory.
- WAV, AIFF, SoundFont, and even REX support for creating original Voices and Drum Kits.
- XLR-1/4" combo mic input with phantom power.
- Four sub outputs allow routing of different aspects of the performance to different listening destinations, mixer channels, etc.
- Downloadable Cloud Audio Recorder app (iOS) to record via WiFi and share via SoundCloud.
- Downloadable SongBook+ app (iOS) for managing scores and lyrics from an iPad.
- Optional GNS-MS01 speaker system and L-7B keyboard stand.
- Dimensions: 1234 mm x 456 mm x 138 mm.
- Weight: 13 kg.